Just 4 Sydney-side Hartnells

Just 4 Sydney-side Hartnells

Friday, November 25, 2011

THANKSGIVING 2011


Cam and I had 10 of our friends over for Thanksgiving. It was a splendid evening although a few small glitches. I'll retell the highlights.

We borrowed dishes and stemware from our neighbor and turned our living room into a dining hall.

We decided to buy a new carving knife for the turkey. Look how shinny. Funny enough, when we headed to Adelaide market to pick up the bird on Thursday AM there wasn't one! I ordered one a week ago and the man I talked to said it would be frozen. I thought that was fine and asked him to thaw it out for me on Monday so by Thursday it would be ready to cook. Well, he didn't have an explanation for it, but we showed up and didn't have a thawed turkey. So Cam saved the day and we just bought turkey pieces and cooked those. Too bad Cam's new knife didn't get to carve anything too big.

Since Thanksgiving is all about the food, check out the size of these sweet potatoes! We did a glazed sweet potato with marshmallow topping. It went down really well.

For the appetizer I made stuffed mushrooms. They were very tasty. Also, check out the pumpkin pie. Maryed gave me these pie crust decorators and they really dress up the deserts.

Most thanksgivings include successes and shortcomings. This one had two major shortcomings: the stuffing wasn't all that awesome (a bit dry and huge chunks) and the pumpkin roll shown above didn't "roll" as much as plop. I tried to have it look as good as Aunt Rita's but alas, it wasn't. Tasty but not pretty.

I loved having Oki over as well. He was outside most of the evening, but we brought him in once people had stopped eating. We even got creative with our napkins. This is me & Amer from Cam's work with Oki's red eyes.

Here is the group shot of everyone. Going around the table we have Jan, Hamish, Deb, Scott, Deb, Tony, Cam, Sean, Jo, Amer, and Gabriella. Thanks to everyone for coming over and we will have to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment